Sunday, June 29, 2008

Update (at long last!)

Wow! I can hardly believe that it's been 3 weeks since Kieran was born. It's been a very busy 3 weeks - hence the not updating as soon as I would have liked. Here's what's been happening in our lives:


By day 5 Kieran had lost nearly a pound so we started supplementing with formula via a lactation aid (a feeding tube at the breast so that he and I continue to learn to breastfeed). I am taking some herbs that are also supposed to help with milk supply. We went to see Dr. Jack Newman this past week (a breastfeeding guru) and he cut Kieran's frenulum (released a tongue tie) which has helped his sucking - his latch is better and there is no pain now. Hopefully this will help my milk supply.


I mentioned in the last post that the heart arrythymia we heard in utero was gone at birth but it reappeared at day 5. We've been back to the cardiologist and structually the heart is fine, it just seems to be firing early every now and then. The cardiologist still feels that he will grow out of it on his own - this could take up to a year. To be safe, we're getting a halter for him this week - this will monitor his heart for a 24 hour period so that they can be sure that there is no time during the day/night that his heart rate doesn't ever go too fast or too slow. (Once we get the all clear there's one more thing we can try for my milk supply - domperidone)

Kieran is now back to his birth weight and doing great!!


Ryan is also doing amazing. He loves his new little brother and is often asking to "hold it" and when he cries he's very concerned and ask mummy or daddy to "get it" - we're working on using him instead of it!! We have had so many friends and family help out with Ryan over the past couple of weeks - taking him to parks or just giving him some special attention - THANK YOU!!

All the pictures in this post are from the first 5 days - unfortunately I haven't gotten more recent ones off the camera and onto the computer yet. Hopefully it won't take me another 3 weeks to do so!!
The past several weeks we've been watching the Euros - football (soccer) tournie. Ryan and I were of course supporting Nederland and here was are in our orange!! Unfortunately they lost to Russia - but we did beat France (Chris' team!!) Just have to say congrats to Spain for winning - Jose you must be proud!!

No comments: