about the most recent events. This past week we hit Kieran's one month birthday - wow - a month in and I'm just barely beginning to get the hang of juggling 2 kids - it's basically learning/thinking up distraction techniques for Ryan when I'm feeding - this seems to be Ryan's most 'jealous' time when he's likely to become a royal pain in the backside. Things that help: get him a snack/drink BEFORE I start feeding, I can read him a book at the same time so long as he holds it and turns the pages - this usally means reading upside down and reading the same one 5 times! We can do puzzles, I can ask Ryan to get things for me whether I need them or not (he likes being a helper), we can call people (he loves to talk on the phone!) and when desperate the TV comes on!Ryan really does love his little brother though. He still hasn't stopped kissing him any chance he gets and he'll say things like "It's ok" or "Come here" when he's crying - the come here one is him repeating me, I often say this when I pick him up.
Kieran hasn't had too many baths yet but he seems to really like them! Once we get ourselves into more of a routine we'll try to have a more regular bathtime - we know how soothing Ryan found it when he was a baby and it appeears that Kieran finds it very calming too.I love the hooded towels for babies. He's drowning in it now, but soon enough he'll fit it and too soon he'll be too big for it!!
This past week has been awful for me. I've been sick since Sunday! Sunday night I got a fever and it hasn't gone entirely away until yesterday!!! I saw my midwife on Tuesday and we ruled out the normal post-partum reasons for fever - mastitis and uterus infection - this left a urine tract infection as the next most likely cause - i saw a doctor the next day and he agreed and gave me the antibiotics (after peeing in a cup). It took 3 full days on the drug before the fever went away.I also went back to Dr. Newman this week - since I have't seen the cardiologist yet he wouldn't give me the domperidone. So we have another week and a half of supplementing via lactation aid - though we are now using a bottle a few times a day so we can get out or if the feed isn't going well - this saves me from getting frustrated! The good news is Kieran is only taking about 10oz of formula a day and he's gaining well - up to 8lbs 5 oz this week!
All my boys!!I have been super blessed this week - most days both boys slept at the same time!!! For about 2 hours!! I got to sleep those days too - which was so needed. And yesterday I used this time to sort some pictures and write a blog ('cause I was expecting Kieran to wake up hungry at any time but he slept for another hour!) We'll end the stories there for now. More later.


1 comment:
Ryan will get better, it has only been a month, and they have long memories. Sounds like you have found lots of ways to keep him busy while you feed. Good luck!
Julie H
Post a Comment