Monday, August 04, 2008

Brief Update

You will have to forgive me for not updating sooner - I should have at least written a message and it didn't occur to me to do that without pics until tonight. I went up to Blind River with the boys around the 17th of June and was there until Monday the 21st at which point we returned for some appointments and then went back up with Chris for just over a week - we got home yesterday.

The appointments went really well. We saw the cardiologist and she gave us the results from the Holter monitor: the arrythymia only occurs 1% of the time during a 24hour period. She still figures that he will grow out of it and we will do the Holter test again at 6 months to see where he's at. He also has a flap in his heart that hasn't closed yet, there's a good chance it will close on it's own by 2 years of age and even if it doesn't that's ok. Apparently, up to 10% of the population are walking around with this flap not closed and don't know it. We'll likely do a test around 4/5 years of age to check if it closed or not just for our own information.

The cardiologist approved me to go on the domperidone for milk supply - I've been on it for 2 weeks and there has been an improvement but we're still supplementing. They want me to be on it for at least a month before deciding that it doesn't work - or deciding that it's not working well enough to stay on it. I go into the breastfeeding clinic tomorrow and will see if they have any suggestions for trying to reduce the amount formula being given. (I'm still giving him at least half of what he needs).

Finally, we were discharged from the midwife 2 weeks ago. Kieran weighed 9lb 4oz - exactly 2lbs over his birth weight (I'm guessing he's gained another pound in the last 2 weeks - will find out tomorrow). Everything else is great!

I will do my best to post some photos soon of our time in Blind River.

No comments: